Sti Or Evo

• You cannot reply to this topic
39 replies to this topic

autoxcrx

• <-- Never has time to work on his car anymore :(
  • PipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: 85 CRX Si, 84 Civic Hatch (soon to be Si)
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Definately would have to go with the STI.

rollz87civic

• VOOM VOOM NO VTEC!!!!!!!!!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2014 Contributor
    • Drives: 1987 civic sedan(sold) 1987 civic DX(sold) 1992 civic SI(sold) 1985 civic wagon 4wd(sold) 1986 civic std DD(Sold)1986 civic dx(sold)
    • Image Gallery
QUOTE (1stGenRex @ Sep 7 2006, 08:31 AM)
the mitsu has roughly the same power as the STi but it takes 19PSI of boos to get it there... 
can you say turbo lag?
no the sti dose not run 19 psi it more like 15-16 psi might be lower then than that

QUOTE (zakats @ Sep 7 2006, 09:21 AM)
STi every time, duh  evo's look too bulky like a dropped minivan..ew
kinda bad that an STI is running a low 14 isnt it?

hows that bad 14s stock thats good
SACHR member be hate for who you are not loved for who your not.

Posted Image
Member in the Carburetion Nation

RIP GLEN

zakats

• 1980's birth control, brought to you by Honda.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: The work car, way more than I'd care to admit
    Garage View Garage
as in the stock STi's I heard were more along the lines of a low 13 second car. that and the fact that it is a STi, one would think that stock 14's are kind of weak for the name.
btw 1stGenRex meant that the EVO has about the same power(about 15hp less I believe) as the STi only it required more boost than the STi has to attain that power.
-zak<<< has 3 more peppers tongue.gif
He who dies with the most toys, wins.

B@T "El Argentino"

QUOTE (wilq @ Sep 7 2006, 11:17 AM)
being that my daily driver is an 04 sti you know what my answer is.as far as performance they are both close however the subaru is much easier to maintain than the mitsu.

I dont agree with this at all. Subarus are generally a pain in the ass to work with. Suppose you need to change a head gasket on a STI, you'll need to drop the entire front end to have access to the head.
I'm not a fan of boxter engines, they sound good but they also suck to work on. Did you ever see a WRX header or "exhaust manifold" it looks complicated and weird as hell.
On the road tests the Evo beat the STI on almost every aspect, it's also easy to work on so why would you want a STI??? Plus evos look much better to me...
Forgot to say, you can get the EVO with no A/C, no stereo and crank windows from the factory, I think that's just awesome.

Edited by B@T "El Argentino", 08 September 2006 - 01:03 AM.

B@T 46 "THE DOCTOR"
[email protected]
user posted image
My "VOUCH" tread http://www.redpepper...44

zakats

• 1980's birth control, brought to you by Honda.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: The work car, way more than I'd care to admit
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (B@T "El Argentino" @ Sep 8 2006, 01:00 AM)
I dont agree with this at all. Subarus are generally a pain in the ass to work with. Suppose you need to change a head gasket on a STI, you'll need to drop the entire front end to have access to the head.
I'm not a fan of boxter engines, they sound good but they also suck to work on. Did you ever see a WRX header or "exhaust manifold" it looks complicated and weird as hell.
On the road tests the Evo beat the STI on almost every aspect, it's also easy to work on so why would you want a STI??? Plus evos look much better to me...
Forgot to say, you can get the EVO with no A/C, no stereo and crank windows from the factory, I think that's just awesome.

depends on whos tests you look at, not all road tests have come to the same conclusion and it would be highly inaccurate to say that the evo outperformed the sti on all or most tests.

the boxter engine might be a bit more difficult to work with but that is what comes with the territory, you dont buy a porche with a boxter engine and complain that its a bitch to work on do you?...because its a porche, thats also like complaining about wine tasting bad, you just dont like it because you are not a connoisseur of the finer things laugh.gif

the sti is a very cool car with a very cool engine that makes great power. the drivetrain is superior in design and there is no questioning it.

everyone has their tastes but IMO if one is gona go AWD, do it right and go subaru
-zak

EDIT: also forgot, the earlier STi's werent offered with A/C, stereo, or electric windows I believe. Also carpet is removable and might not be a standard item....
He who dies with the most toys, wins.

Omega Mugen

• Dug Diggler
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 87 CRX w/Si motor, 86 Civic DX Hatch, 2001 Prelude
At almost every autoX I go to, the Evo beats the STi. I don't know about reliability. From what I have heard though B@t is right on. The boxer is a bitch. Plus you need two of everything--two cams, two heads, etc.

Going to Hawaii? You need a Dune Buggy.

WTB: 14x8 or 9" Panasports or Watanabe RS.

WTB: 3g Civic hatch gauge cowl, brown.

WTB: ZC header--FOUND

Surestick

• Speedy
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 1987 CRX DX. Upgrades (so far) Illuminas on all four corners, new rims & tires & Eldo's carb mod. Needs some rust repair. 1993 Civic Si as a daily driver that I have sworn to keep stock (so $$ can go to the CRX).
IIRC the conclusion that Top Gear came to when testing them side to side was that the Evo was the faster car but they get the Sti if they had to buy one of their own.

I just prefer the more chunky look of the Sti.

cbstdscott

• Swap in HF drums, check your cam timing
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2015 Contributor
    • Drives: '87 CRX Si, '07 Civic Si Sedan, '15 Scion FRS
    • Image Gallery
Mitusbishi cars have a terrible record for lack of longevity.

Subies are a bit tougher over the long run.

Out here in California, wannabe poseurs buy Mitsubishis. Serious enthusiasts buy Subies.

Scott
Posted Image

Form Follows Function

lilneedle

• Mcguyver's long lost son...
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 86 Civic 1300 With complete brown top teg convo...
    • Image Gallery
STI!!!!! my girl has a 2.5RS that runs 14's...with no turbo...and it sounds sick...we plan to swap an sti engine if we could ever find one for cheap....lol...
FORSALE$700BUX...
86 1300 3G With Teg conversion...DOHC BABY!!!

SAHCR-Saving Abused Hondas for Cleanup and Restoration-member.

Airgazm86

• Ungawa!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Mod
    • Drives: '86 Std. hatchback, '06 Mitsu EVO IX SE, '15 Mitsu Lancer EVO X FE
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
As a former owner of older Subaru's and a current owner of older DSM's, I can say that older DSM's are 110% easier to work on and maintain than older Soobies. wink.gif Maybe this is due to the fact that my XT6 and SVX are a rare breed, but boxer engines are horrible to work on and buy parts for. The reason my SVX is rotting away in my yard is because rod bearings are not available from the dealer or aftermarket companies. I've also helped a few WRX owners install exhausts and it's truly torture.

And the stripped STi everyone is talking about is the Spec C model. wink.gif

DSMTimeline.jpg

Omega Mugen

• Dug Diggler
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 87 CRX w/Si motor, 86 Civic DX Hatch, 2001 Prelude
Even changing the spark plugs is no easy task. That's why I like Honda--dummy-proof (almost).

Subies are for tree-huggers.

Edited by Omega Mugen, 08 September 2006 - 01:41 PM.

Going to Hawaii? You need a Dune Buggy.

WTB: 14x8 or 9" Panasports or Watanabe RS.

WTB: 3g Civic hatch gauge cowl, brown.

WTB: ZC header--FOUND

Zephyr

• On the Podium
  • PipPipPipPip
QUOTE (Omega Mugen @ Sep 8 2006, 07:27 AM)
At almost every autoX I go to, the Evo beats the STi.  I don't know about reliability.  From what I have heard though B@t is right on.  The boxer is a bitch.  Plus you need two of everything--two cams, two heads, etc.

Generally speaking the fellows who show up at autocrosses with an Evo are a little more hardcore then the Subaru drivers. Not saying that Subaru drivers are not talented but the majority of them are there just to have fun where as the Evo guys mean business. Back when I autocrossed my Subaru 2.5RS even when it was in N/A form I would consistantly finish ahead of the WRX's. When I swapped it to a WRX engine it would still give STi's a run for their money. At an autocross it really comes down to the nut behind the wheel. A good autocrosser could make both cars go very very fast.

Yes changing spark plugs is a PITA.

Either way I'd pick the STi but I'll stick with my RS until they make it a hatch.

Z

Edited by Zephyr, 08 September 2006 - 03:09 PM.

1985 CRX Si H2 Racecar
2000 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS with a WRX swap

SlaveSpawn

• 速いロケットはホ
  • PipPipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 何も Mitsu ? Honda Civ. ?
I vote for the Lancer Evo 8 MR..but I'd take any Lancer since OEM-AfterMarket parts r pretty much interchangable between all Lancers.

Edited by SlaveSpawn, 08 September 2006 - 03:31 PM.

rollz87civic

• VOOM VOOM NO VTEC!!!!!!!!!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 1987 civic sedan(sold) 1987 civic DX(sold) 1992 civic SI(sold) 1985 civic wagon 4wd(sold) 1986 civic std DD(Sold)1986 civic dx(sold)
    • Image Gallery
QUOTE (lilneedle @ Sep 8 2006, 06:29 AM)
STI!!!!! my girl has a 2.5RS that runs 14's...with no turbo...and it sounds sick...we plan to swap an sti engine if we could ever find one for cheap....lol...

the best thing 4 u 2 do is just use sti parts..finding a motor 4 cheap is like 4,000 or more
SACHR member be hate for who you are not loved for who your not.

Posted Image
Member in the Carburetion Nation

RIP GLEN

funkmaster

• 1985 Mugen CR-X Si
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Mod
    • Drives: 1985 CRX Si, 2006 Ford Focus ST, 2009 Lexus RX350, 1996 Del Sol Vtec
    • Image Gallery
id rather have an EVO. Every comparison ive read/seen has said while the STi may look better on paper the EVO is faster overall and more fun to drive.

I have personally driven an EVO 8 MR and it was SWEET!
and I also have to say the WRX has taken a serious turn for the UGLY.