Pcv Valve Location And Routing

• You cannot reply to this topic
4 replies to this topic

zup12001

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 1987 Honda CRX Si
does anyone have a pic of the back of engine showing the pcv valve and the routing of the lines. I searched through the service manual on here and didnt find anything usefull. I'm assuming the pcv valve is connected in the black box(breather chamber)? The f***ing hillbilly idiot I bought my crx from has everything all messed up. The car does have a custom turbo setup with a custom intake, but he has a tube going from one side of the black box to the other and im assuming thats incorrect. Any input would be great.

Edited by zup12001, 20 October 2010 - 06:35 PM.

staticchmbr

• Work in progress
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: 2x crx in the rust graveyard, 87 crx si (building), 2004 wrx
    Garage View Garage
the pcv valve goes between the black box and a nipple on the intake manifold. Technically when running turbo, the pcv valve can create bad pressure in the crank case under boost. The reason is positive pressure in the manifold holds the valve shut allowing pressure to back up. This is a theory I have read numerous posts on. I ended up running an oil catch can between the black box and intake manifold instead of the pcv valve. I can't really tell you if this is 100% true or not, but it makes sense to me.
valvecover.gif
87 crx si (in pieces)
If you don't live for something, you'll die for nothing.

kaymo

• Mr.Ididntseeyousittingthereofficer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 74'vert Blazer, 84redrexHF (RIP), 87blackrexSI, 91STDhatch(resurrected for beater)(RIP again)
static is right i think. just google how to setup pcv with turbo and you should find some more info on it.
QUOTE (kjeffery @ Apr 17 2009, 06:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yet again Scott, you have all the answers

QUOTE (cbstdscott @ Apr 17 2009, 07:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No. All the answers are in the Kakabox build thread.

QUOTE (Lymitliss @ May 26 2009, 08:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ohh yeah I guess that makes sense. King Kaymo has all the answers :lol:

fat_85_civic

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip
    • Group: 2012 Contributor
    • Drives: 85 Civic 1500S - ZC converted
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Dont run it like said above. It will pressurise the block from the boost. No lines should connect to the IM at all in a turbo honda.

I cant find the picture im after right now but ill keep looking and explain it.

The PCV valve should be removed from the top of the black box and a hose bard threaded in, the bigger the better.
You will need a catch can with at least 3 hose fitting on it, on for the hose from the black box, one for the hose from the valve cover, and the third for either a breather filter OR a hose back to the pre-turbo intake for a fully sealed and legal system.

Another option is a catch can with only two fittings, one for the black box, and one for a filter and then have another filter on the valve cover fitting, but I think the first option is a much cleaner look.

Luke

fat_85_civic

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip
    • Group: 2012 Contributor
    • Drives: 85 Civic 1500S - ZC converted
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
here's is a pic of my black box with the hose barb in it.

If its on a D16A1 I would put in a 90 degree fitting as the hose need to do quite a tight bend to clear the IM. Im redoing my system atm and going to all AN hose fittings.